Driving is a skill that apparently has no margin for error. In a country like India which is highly populated, driving safe is of cardinal importance. The roads in few of parts of the country are not the best, thus the drivers must give extra attention while driving on them. Also, the road type in India varies from one part of the nation to another. You have plain roads in some parts and then you have hilly roads in some other parts of the country. Life is such a beautiful gift given to us by God. Let us try and make the maximum use of this beautiful gift. Driving is something that is bestowed with a lot of duties. You are responsible for yourself and then you are responsible for other people on the road as well, including the pedestrians.
In India there is a huge scope of improvement as far as road safety is concerned. A few steps that can be taken or implemented to improve road safety in India are:
- The quality of roads in the country should be improved. The government should make proper inspection to ensure that the material used in building the roads is authentic. The measurements and dimensions of the roads should be proper and well examined.
- The roads should be designed with proper crosswalks. Crosswalks will help the pedestrians cross the roads safely across the flow of vehicular traffic.
- The government should try and ensure that traffic lights or the traffic control signals are properly positioned and are functioning properly. Often, non-functional traffic lights become the cause of road accidents.
- The roads should be equipped with proper street lights. Especially during the winters in the northern parts of the country, the street lights should be functioning properly. There should also be street lights that can help increase the visibility in the presence of fog and smog as well.
- The government should ensure that driving licenses are issued only after proper inspection and examination. A person driving on the road should be responsible and sensible.
- Proper education and training must be provided to the people about traffic signals, the importance of road safety, responsibilities while driving et al. People should be told that things like wearing seatbelts, following traffic rules are of great importance.
- The role of traffic police in improving the road safety can be huge. The government and the concerned authorities should try to ensure that proper training is provided to the people before they are appointed as traffic police.
- Large screens, displays or banners should be used on the roads with messages informing people about the importance of road safety and traffic rules. Whenever people will look at these displays or banners, they will be reminded about their duties while driving on the roads.
- People should try and cultivate the habit of driving safely on the roads. We should always remember that life is the most precious gift. The modern technology can also help in improving road safety.
- Every individual should take the responsibility to help improve the road safety in the country. Let us make sure that we don’t break any traffic rules. Also, if we witness someone breaking or trying to break traffic rules, we should tell them that their life is precious. Together we can definitely improve the road safety in the country.
This blog post is written to promote and support The Nissan Safety Driving Forum. The Nissan Safety Driving Forum is an initiative of The Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. The program began as an annual activity in 2012. In its initial phase it covered three main Indian cities – New Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai – and since then has gradually expanded to several additional cities across India. This year, NSDF would reach 8 new cities – Chandigarh, Jalandhar, Jaipur, Vadodara, Nagpur, Chennai, Mangalore and Kochi.